With today’s advancements, you no longer have to suffer the embarrassment of unsightly and unhealthy silver mercury fillings of the past. You can eliminate the dark, black appearance in your teeth with new-age, state-of-the-art, tooth-colored resin or porcelain materials.
Comparing white fillings versus amalgam-silver fillings:
- White fillings bond to the tooth; they strengthen the tooth by restoring most of its original shade. Silver amalgams, on the other hand, weaken the teeth and make them more susceptible to breakage.
- White filling composites are preferred by most patients. This is due to the natural color, strength and overall appearance and feel. Composites are naturally more comfortable.
- Hot and cold sensitivity is greatly reduced with composite material versus silver/mercury amalgams which conduct and transfer hot and colds.
- Restorations with composites require less removal of tooth structure than that of amalgams and especially with new cavities.
- White fillings are healthier because no traces of mercury are used, unlike silver amalgams.
Our office offers a variety of services to assess all your dental needs. See the links below for a brief explanation of each service or ask our staff – we’ll be happy to answer any questions.